Aftermarket Car Parts vs. OEM: 3 Reasons to Choose Genuine Replacement Parts
- Aftermarket parts are not made by vehicle manufacturers and may not offer total compatibility.
- Replacing OEM parts with aftermarket brands could void warranties and recalls.
- OEM parts offer more safety and reliability due to higher regulatory standards and exact vehicle fits.
- Reliability: Genuine parts are required to be tested and approved through the same major agencies that test and approve manufacturers’ vehicles and processes: UL, CSA, and NSF International. Your aftermarket parts may or may not have this certification, and even if they do, they weren’t designed specifically for your vehicle. Therefore, they may not offer the best compatibility with your onboard equipment or the fit might be just a bit off, and it's the little things like this that can lead to bigger issues down the road.
- Safety: Again, aftermarket parts aren’t held to the same testing standards or designed specifically for one type of vehicle or engine. They are mass-produced for multiple installations, which could result in oversights, slightly incorrect fits, and other safety issues. Plus, even if a part is a perfect fit and seems to work perfectly, you don’t have that same peace of mind that you would get from factory parts. Is saving money worth putting yourself and others at risk? OEM parts offer so much more than money can buy, including better safety and peace of mind.
- Warranty Protection: Some aftermarket parts have their own warranty, but that will typically only cover the part itself. Plus, using non-OEM parts can often be cause for voiding any existing warranties that you have on your vehicle. This could cost you a small fortune if you end up needing warranty-related repairs down the road. By spending a little more on genuine parts, you could have kept your warranty intact and saved yourself hundreds (if not thousands) on repairs and related expenses. Plus, most OEM parts will offer an additional warranty period from the time of replacement, giving you even more protection.