Preparing Your Car for a Long Journey: 5 Essential Things to Check Before Driving
- Aside from the obvious things like filling up the gas tank and checking the air in the tyres, there are some routine things that should be done before any long trip.
- Remember to check your oil and antifreeze levels and ensure other fluids such as brake and transmission fluids are filled to the appropriate level. Check your battery to make sure it's not running low.
- Check if roadside assistance or towing plan is built into your auto insurance policy and always bring an emergency kit in case anything goes wrong.
- Lights, turn signals, wipers, horn, and other electrical elements
- Your spare tyre and jack, to ensure they are present and in working order
- A/C or heating system check, depending on the season
- Brakes, including their state of wear and whether there may be additional brake issues